Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lush changed my life. Seriously.

It all started very innocently (as most addictions do) from a search for an exfoliating soap. August 7, 2011... I was in Valley Fair Mall and thought, I'll just stop by the "soap shop."  I wasn't interested in the bath items. I don't take baths -- baths are boring!  After a quick hand demo, I purchased Buffy and a Stepping Stone.

Before using my newly purchased items, I hopped on to Lush's website to view other products.  I spent a few hours reading the "About Us" page and consumer reviews.  Several things really caught my attention:
  • Using fresh fruits & vegetables and other natural ingredients in their products
  • Little or no packaging
  • No animal testing
  • Using ethically sourcing and sustainable ingredients
I'll admit, I'm no hippy.  But I do my best to reduce, reuse and recycle, and purchase locally grown produce.  I like the way this company thinks.  I think I'll go buy a bar of soap or two (because, remember, I hate baths!) so I went to my local Lush store and purchased a chunk of Honey I Washed the Kids.

After my first shower, I was confused. 

Let me back up.  Before, when I used a shower gel, it was always something smell-good from Bath & Body Works or somewhere similar.  I never liked using shower gels too often because when they claim to be "moisturizing," I never felt clean enough; like there was a film of stuff left on my skin that never washed off.  So most of the time I stuck to bar soaps like Ivory and Lever 2000.  It was what I grew up with -- it was what I knew.  It left me "squeaky clean."

So after my first shower with Honey I Washed the Kids, I was confused.  My skin didn't have the layer of residue.  And it was soft -- I didn't feel like I had to lather a ton of lotion on afterwards.  Is this what CLEAN is supposed to feel like?!  I scowled at my bar of Lever 2000.  "You're not squeaky clean-- you're drying out my skin!"  It was an eye opening experience.

In less than a month, we threw everything out and switched to become an all-Lush family.  Goodbye Head & Shoulders, Pantene, Lever 2000, Ivory, Dove deodorants, Clinique makeup, Aveeno lotions and all things Bath & Body Works.

I feel good about the switch.  Not just because Lush Cosmetics is against animal testing, uses ethically sourced and sustainable ingredients, and believes in minimal packaging.  But also because it's good for my family and good for our skin.

So I've started this blog to review the many Lush products out there, hoping to educate and interest anyone who's willing to read about my Lush experiences.  If there's a product you'd like me to review, just add a comment.  Otherwise, happy reading!

Oh, and I love baths now!  But that's for a later review....

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that Lush has had such an impact on you!

    It's the best EVER! True story.

    Stoked to read more of your blogs :D

    ReplyDelete